New PC Help?

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

WarGanisM

New PC Help?

Post by WarGanisM » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:06 am

Hi all,

i'm a bit out of the loop with computers and gaming in general, but my Potato (PC) has seen better days I7-950 first gen.
Thinking about buying a new PC (possibly), I can't afford to go silly, but I'm not uptodate on new tech, and most of the old websites I used to look at, seem like an utter rip off. I often see other people get what seems like a good rig for about £800ish, but when i visit a site and build similar stuff its about £2000+

Any ideas of what parts are good these days, and what sites to use? Also I don't have much time these days, so build it yourself is not an option, So please don't push that option.

Any Help much appreciated!

Wargs.

warlock359205

Re: New PC Help?

Post by warlock359205 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:14 am

I bought my last from here ,custom built and delivered just under£600
https://www.cclonline.com/

ProvokedPrawn
Site Admin

Post by ProvokedPrawn » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:05 am

Donate to keep EBS alive ---->Image

Bennett
Loading…

Post by Bennett » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:20 pm

Depends on what you want it for really? 1440, vr and all the newfangled tech then maybe you're going have to spend.
But for example i run i5 coffee lake what ever. gtx970 8 gig of ram. h370 mobo, ssd's runs everything I want it to.

soo https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan-ga ... 1tb-win-10 ?

I dont know what F stands for on the CPU, and Im not keen on the mobo and i couldn't tell you what a 1660 super is like either but its £800

Projectblue

Post by Projectblue » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:44 pm

Firstly narrow down the parameters. Does it need to be Intel or will AMD be fine? What's the budget you wish to spend (no one wants to spend more than they need, but if you don't cap it, it goes silly. Conversely, if you don't put enough in, zero point in changing.

i7's are still the CPU of choice, with i9 setting you back close to £500 for CPU alone. So £700 with mobo. But you can cut some corners in places and be ready to upgrade when you have more money. E.g. I just sold a 980ti for £100. It was a bargain, does everything yet still holds it's head up. Picked up a cheap NVMe 1tb drive for £80 in black friday deal.
Do you want to water cool?
Do you need a new case?
PSU?

etc etc.
"EBS was, and is always, a respected place to play because admin's don't take any shit and we don't dance around the axe. If it needs swinging, we will do it, without question."

WarGanisM

Post by WarGanisM » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:42 am

My current PC so it give some perspective is an i7-950 12gb of ddr3 tri-channel ram. Gtx770.

Budget I dunno really depends on the build £1100 tops 800ish would be great.

I already got monitors etc. As for brands I'm not loyalist, I usually have Intel's, but I've heard the Ryzens are the way to go? However I'd prefer to stay with Nvidia

I've thought about VR but don't know what sort of specs costs that would cause.

Projectblue

Post by Projectblue » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:21 pm

I think you should be able to put a good mobo/i7/gtx1070 together for £800. That should be quick enough for just about everything. I use overclockers and got a mobo/cpu/watercooler/ram kit when it was on offer. Can't remember the deal but it's pretty solid. If you run a 1tb NVMe ssd for your OS and main games you should sound.
"EBS was, and is always, a respected place to play because admin's don't take any shit and we don't dance around the axe. If it needs swinging, we will do it, without question."

peglegswansoon

Post by peglegswansoon » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:58 pm

I highly recommend https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ if you plan on building some/all of it yourself. Makes it very easy to check part compatibility etc and also gives you an idea of the cost - though you may get better deals shopping around. The "Build Guides" section also has some good starting setups that you can tweak to your liking :)

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:19 am

Your willingness to help is commendable mate, but the title post specifically states no self-build option. Just saying.
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Got the SQUEE?
Pick up your suffering and bear it.
Easy now.

WarGanisM

Post by WarGanisM » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:39 am

Any and all help is very much appreciated. However I have decided that I do not want to home build. Which as spawnsy highlighted, I pointed that out. Funnily enough in my experience of every PC build thread ever made on any forum, always turns into a build it yourself debate lol. I did hope to avoid it, but I think at this point it's just an internet law at this point hahaha.