Assetto Corsa content : tests & benchmarks

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

Hairy Frog

Assetto Corsa content : tests & benchmarks

Post by Hairy Frog » Tue May 12, 2020 4:29 pm

This is the begining of a topic that I believe will grow.

My purpose is to check the contents ( Vanilla/DLC/mods/apps etc .... ) and report the ones I found interesting with links, times, reviews etc ....

I'll begin with the cars. I will test them on only one selected track : Blackwood reloaded is a mod, a beautifull fictionnal track ported and re-textured from LFS.
This track is not too long, not too technical, and it features a long straight preceeded by a technical chain of hairpin+chicane, and followed by a sinuous part where you have to play with down and up hill curves

Blackwood reloaded is the first content I recommend to AC pilots :mrgreen:

Proceedure : I'll drive each car in hotlap mode with the ghost on, spawning 1" before me to give a target ahead. I'll adjust the gearbox lenght if necessary/possible. As I know very well the track, no more than 3 to 8 laps would be enough for me to juge the car .... to my taste :wink:

If the car appears ( to me ) to be interesting, I'll display it there with a short review, and the time I did... for information, most of the time this is not the best I may do with the reviewed combo

----------------------------------------

# Vanilla cars

Alfa 33 Stradale gives what you expect from an Italian sport car: volcanic engine, reponsiveness to any input, high end chassis : this car is living ! With this only car, the free bonus pack3 would already be a very nice gift, I like it a lot 1'27"793
Ferrari 599X evo hypercar ? monstercar ? Godrari ? Ferzilla ? ... don't be fooled, this is a real beast to tame, it will require much more skill than you think, but .....omfg ! ! ! ! 1'12"277
Mc Laren MP4-12C GT3 quite close to the 650S from dream Pack3, although a different car, and some gearbox staggering should improve the time slightly .... 1'14"695
Lotus 98T meet the red zone .... if you dare :mrgreen: This time is far from being good 1'10"248
Pagani Huayra BC I got the 300kmh tag with it 1'14"809
Taatus FA01 a nice school single seater. I only adjusted the 4th and 5th lenght in the setup 1'14"098
Pagani Zonda R The jet fighter by Pagani 1'11"353
Mazda 787B The car you must drive on the Nordschleife 1'11"668
Lotus Exos T125 STD time done after only 3 laps, not using the DRS and no change at all to the set up .... no comment 1'04"692
Lotus Exos T125 S1 .... F1 Cosworth 2009 engine, 750bhp, at 18000rpm ...if you go beyond who knows what can hapen .... time done after only 3 laps, not using the DRS and no change at all to the set up .... no comment 1'01"297
Lotus Evora S stage 2 a good car for learning : just as responsive and predictable as needed when you are seeking the limit. Not the funiest one though 1'26"226
Lotus Evora GTE Same as above, the behavior is closer to that of a race car, and a better drive should improve the time 1'26"114

-------------------------------------

# DLC cars

Dream Pack #1

Alfa 155 Ti V6 is a magnificent race car, Nicola Larini won the 1993 DTM championship with it. The car in AC is up to its legend. If you play manual, be always gentle when shifting, as the gearbox can break easily. 1'20"272
Alfa Romeo 4C although being a street car, it can show a nice behaviour on track 1'26"949
BMW 325i Race Car, not slower for sure, but unexcpectingly more difficult to master than the Alfa 155 above. I didn't see any difference with traction control on or off, the rear was unpredictable either way .. maybe some setup work necessary ? 1'21"740
Mercedes-Benz 190E EVO II Very nice chassis, good feeling when closing the limit, and even when trespassing, you can always recover and minimize the loss of time. Easy to place and keep on the good trajectory ... probably due to the tiny crosshair in front of the car :mrgreen: 1'21"213
Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 A nice GT3, by the easiest to push 1'13"070
McLaren F1 GTR this car is a diva : fantastic feelings, but somewhat a bitch if you don't do it her way. If you find how it works, you'll beat this time by far 1'16"164

Dream Pack #3

Abarth 500 Assetto Corse is not the fastet, by far, but it is fun to drive and homogenous. Summing up, it is a perfect platform for monotype club track races 1'29"251
Mc Laren 650S GT3 while the first laps, I thought I could beat the Ferrari 599X evo ..... 1'15"444
Mercedes-Benz AMG GT3 despite trying hard, I couldn't beat the time whith the Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 1'13"528
Classic Team Lotus Type 25 Actually, I do not know a harder car to push hard. If you can drive it like on this video, then you can say you are a trully skillfull driver 1'33"069

Japanese Pack

Mazda RX7 Spirit R has a good chassis, but it is the NSU engine that counts, and both make it the first entry from the Japanese Pack 1'28"109
Toyota Supra MkIV time attack In GT on PSX I already prefered other cars to the Supra, it hasn't changed. It is however ( and yet ) a good challenge in hotlaps 1'24"571
Mazda MX-5 Cup very fun to push hard, I haven't found yet its limit on Blackwood. A perfect choice for monotype club-racing 1'29"436

-------------------------------------------------

# AC LEGENDS

This mod is made of three car packs, both related to vintage race cars, so you don't need to install all 3 . It is also available for rfactor2, directly by the workshop

1) AC Legends Prototypes contains some of the most iconic prototypes that made the ... legend of Le Mans, by the turn of the 60' to 70'

Chaparral 2E : Light, huge engine, only three strokes in the gearbox .. you don't need more :mrgreen: => 1'16"036
Ferrari 312PB : the feeling is incredibly up to date for a vintage proto, the sound is incredible, a very enjoyable car in many ways => 1'15"904
Mc Laren M1b : The car is midway between the two above, along with the 4 strokes gearbox vs 5 in the Ferrari => 1'15"808
Lola T70 mkII Spyder brutal engine, it makes the car touchy to push on Blackwood, but I found the challenge is interesting 1'19"413
Lola T70 mkII Ford second version of the same mod, features a Ford engine. A bit less hp, a bit more torque where it is good to have it. In theory this version should perform less, but it is easier to push 1'19"020

2) AC Legends Classics : Good old GT Legends inside ! De Tomaso Panthera, Ford Capri, 911RSR, Porsche 908, Ferrari, 365 GTB, Corvette Stingray and many more .... This sis the car pack I prefer by far. Because the cars are very different from each other, and from a track to another, not the same are dominant ... but all are enjoying to drive

Nissan GTR2000 the prequel of the renown Skyline, it lives up to the name .... 1'22"822
Shelby Daytona is a tuned AC Cobra with a hard top.... I expected to face a challenge just to drive it clean, but no, it turns and brakes ok, better than the average muscle car. And the journey was hypnotic : best engine sound, zoom like accelerations... 1'22"481
AMG 300 SEL 6.8 rotte Sau every doctor should be equipped with this model, to ensure they are facing emergencies in the best conditions :mrgreen: 1'24"467

3) AC Legends Trans Am : Muscle cars ! Ford Mustang, Plymouth Barracuda, Dodge Charger, Chevrolet Camaro and the likes ... Tons of steel, tons of horses, tons of testosterone :mrgreen:
Although the ingame car specs are the same for all cars - but the Mustangs, that are lighter than the others - I believe that the engine specs differ, at least between the Mustangs and the Cuda. You'll need some laps to understand how to drive them efficiently....

AAR Cuda aka Plymouth Barracuda, big torque everywhere, big sound => 1'24"690
Pontiac Firebird same as above, the time difference is mainly due to experience => 1'22"595
Ford Mustang a bit lighter than the other cars of the pack and it handles obviously better 1'22"183
Boss Mustang this version is expected to be better than the std Mustang but .... 1'22"405

--------------------------------------------------

# BTCC by T7R

These touring cars are modern racing cars, and the "Touring" is just to say, you can trust me, ... oh ! I forgot : your stepmother may not appreciate the journey :wink:

BMW125i M sport 1'17"470
Toyota Avensis ... not bad for a FWD berline 1'17"884

-------------------------------------------------------

# Corvette C6R is a MUST HAVE, actually my best time on Blackwood Reloaded, A nice demo vid at Mugello ... no need to say more 1'15"679

---------------------------------------------------------

# Ginetta G55 SuperCup 2017 a nice race car for monotype races 1'17"699

-------------------------------------------------------

Dallara F312 aka F3 2012, is a very good introduction to high performance single seaters 1'12"336

------------------------------------------------------------

Formula RSS 3 V6 a fictionnal car created by Race Sim Central to organize their own online championship. I havent tried a F1 or F2 yet, but I guess this is not far.... 1'07"799

----------------------------------------------------------

Posche 911 by Singer
This mod is pure gem, it offers 3 different versions of the unavoidable and so iconic German sport car. Be carefull though, a 911 can'b driven like any other car, so be prepared to change your paradigm :wink:

911 4.0 1244kg 390hp 427nm .... a tuned model from California. Do not pay to much attention to the time, as the car would have required a big setup work to be up to my own taste, it is worthy however 1'22"682
911 3.8 1244kg 300h 256nm .... incredibly easy, intuitive, comfortable 1'24"892
911 4.0 AWD perhaps a bit more experience, a bit more predictability .....1'22"468

-----------------------------------------------------

Renault R8 Gordini S ... 855kg, 103bhp, 80Nm, the erodynamics of a shoe box, engine rear deported ... just like a Porsche 911 :mrgreen: ... La Gordini is a piece of race history, several generations of French race and rally pilot began with this car in the 60's. But in fact, the only behaviour of this car would legitimate a place into this list. Don't be bothered by the poor time on Blackwood, you will enjoy driving it ..... once mastered :wink: 1'32"899

TVR Cerbera Speed 12 Race Car, another monster that remind me of the good old GT on PSX... 975kg, 880bhp, 881Nm .... no comment ...I was literally unable to make a lap with the vanilla set up, but exceptionally, because I felt a huge potential, I tried to make it a bit more predictable. And although I'm far from being satisfied with my setup, I decided to recommend the car.... at least because the challenge. I requested FaithlessMonk to come to my aid and try the the car, hoping he will find a tip to tame the beast .... so expect this comment to be updated later on ... 1'12"460
A few hours later => Faithlessmonk : this car is a bitch ! .... 1'07"626 ROFL ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

---------------------------------------------------

TVR Tuscan Challenge (1989) a nice Cabriolet delivered with a wide choice of race skins .... perfect for monotype 1'19"995

------------------------------------------------------

Seat leon TCR DSG try a high end FWD race car and taste the difference :mrgreen: ..... 1'19"223

--------------------------------------------------------

Seat Leon Eurocup Lil sis' likes to play, and it does it well, the car is easy to drive, and easy to push. But the typical behaviour of a powerfull FWD is not there. You guess well I prefer by far the TCR mod above that has also a lot more potential, anyway ... 1'19"254

----------------------------------------------------

R5 GT turbo Gr4 Rally car inside ! This car is very badly fitted to Blackwood, because its short gearbox is a handicap there. The cap ( 194kmh ) is reached before halfway in the straight (so no need to add about the ability to accelerate ) ... despite, it is so efficient and quick as soon as max speed is no more to mention .... my time is far from what the car can do, even at Blackwood 1'26"409

----------------------------------------------------

Oreca FLM09 This is car difficult, but rewarding. Just keep in mind that the diff has a big preload even with the lowest setting, thus you have to litteraly drive your diff to put the car where you want it to go. Another tip : the aero is too much by default, reduce it by half 1'10"589

Lotus cortina 1966 Some prefer the Alfa GTA, some prefer the Cortina .... choose your weapon and fight ! :mrgreen: 1'37"992

( to be continued )
Last edited by Hairy Frog on Thu May 28, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 128 times in total.
If a fool is a guy who lost is touch with the real world, what to think about people who are confusing

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Knowledge and information
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

Cold Blood Nor

Re: Assetto Corsa content : tests & benchmarks

Post by Cold Blood Nor » Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 am

I am currently testing Content Manager for AC, I'll let you guys know my thoughts about it when I have tested it out some more.
Cold Blood out.

"What? Say something! Am I so beautiful that you've got no words left?" - Midna

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Thu May 14, 2020 10:25 am

Don't wait : dl and install it.

Even the free version is usefull by many aspects

You review will be very welcome, this app has an incredible amount of functions and purposes
If a fool is a guy who lost is touch with the real world, what to think about people who are confusing

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Fri May 15, 2020 5:35 pm

How to set up a ghost in Assetto Corsa ?

it works only in Hotlaps mode. When in the hotlaps menu, click on the Session column, this will open the following :

Simply check "ghost car" to activate, then choose the advance given to the ghost ( 0" to 5") when it spawns.

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Sat May 16, 2020 11:01 am

Updated !

If your opinion differs on any element I describe above, do not hezitate to keep me posted, I'll integrate your own review

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

darkdeamon

Post by darkdeamon » Sat May 16, 2020 5:41 pm

I'm having a play with the BTCC cars on the same track. Will post some times later this week
Putting my hacks on your PC by many devious methods

0verzeal0us

Post by 0verzeal0us » Sat May 16, 2020 8:25 pm

I may have to invest now I have a G29!

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 am

Looks like we're gonna have a new member in the Wacky Racers community

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

darkdeamon

Post by darkdeamon » Sun May 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Used to love whacky races and stop the pigeon
Putting my hacks on your PC by many devious methods