1080 mini are they any good

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

taran

1080 mini are they any good

Post by taran » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:10 am

This one might be for @ProvokedPrawn

1080 minis are so much cheaper now, I am guessing not the preffered card of the bitcoin miner.

the reviews I have seen just say they run a bit hotter, any body got one, care to comment.

thinking of upgrading my 1060...will force the business to pay for it.

Ztranier
Loading…

Re: 1080 mini are they any good

Post by Ztranier » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 pm

The mini GTX1080 Cards are at lower performance rates than the max versions due to restrictet tickrates and temperaute
There is not enough space for lots of cooling pipes on those cards.
So for example the normal/max version of the Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme (witch seems to be the highest rated card atm) has an 11% higher preformance rate than the Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Mini which is also the highest rated mini card right now.

Also the fans on the Zotac mini card will always run on 1100+ rpm, even if you only doing some work in Windows,there is no software feature embetted to slow them down

So in general the mini cards are hotter, louder and have a lag of performance compared to they´re big sisters
"If in doubt, ....flat out" Collin McRae

Vaag

Re: 1080 mini are they any good

Post by Vaag » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 am

Unless you're working on avery specific mini-itx build I dont think they are worth it. I did some googling on mini-itx builds,a nd even in mini-itx builds people more often use full size cards.

Thats probably why they are dropping in price, even the demographic where this card is aimed at is not using it. Combined with everything @Ztranier said. ;)