new pc

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

games uk

new pc

Post by games uk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:09 pm

my old spec AMD FX 8350 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz mob ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 (AM3R2) 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 hd 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 ATA Device (SATA)
149GB SAMSUNG HD160JJ ATA Device (SATA)
931GB Western Digital WDC WDS100T2B0A-00SM50 ATA Device (SSD)
111GB KINGSTON SV300S37A120G ATA Device (SSD)

thinking of this for upgrade to this ntel i7 7700kASUS Strix GTX 1080ti Gaming 11GTeam Group Delta 16GB RGB 2666MhzASUS Strix z270f Gaming RGB motherboardKingston A400 240GB SSDSeagate 1TB HDDNZXT x62 Kraken Liquid CoolerNZXT H500i RGB CaseNZXT 5 port Internal USB HubNZXT HUE+ Advance Lighting ControllerEZDIY-FAB PCIe Vertical Flexible Cable Extension Corsair CX850M 80+ Bronze PSUTP-Link N900 Dual Band WiFi Card2x NZXT 140mm intake fans (front x62 kraken)1x NZXT AER RGB 140mm case fans (top)1x NZXT AER RGB 120mm case fans (rear) what you think guys

Chimp

Re: new pc

Post by Chimp » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:31 pm

Personally, I would snap this up and swap out for the larger hard drive. At £1250 its a reasonable price for the specs on it.
Hellooo

Harrod200
Loading…

Post by Harrod200 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:43 am

Are you building yourself new or getting it as a built system?

If you're doing it yourself, I might suggest going AMD with a 3600X and appropriate mobo; somewhat cheaper and higher benchmarks. Ryzen likes faster memory too, so a faster set (3600) would do some good.

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:55 pm

I got some great advice when I upgraded last. You're looking at similar specs to those I was considering.
I was told that if I'm not going to use 3D for modelling and such then the 1080 is enough. The extra for the Ti is not worth it for standard display on regular fps type games that we play. Save the money.
I was told that the 'k' processor is not worth the extra unless you're going to overclock it. You're paying for the ability to overclock later [when the pc starts to struggle with whatever the latest game is] instead of having to upgrade. Is it worth the hassle? Would you realistically do that? When I replied "No" the reply was to either stick with the standard [ie not 'k'] or go a model up and future proof properly now.
I don't recall any more than that, and I know nothing myself I'm afraid.

I love that excitement. I remember that really well. Revel in the research. Be excited by it and take your time and savour the build up. The novelty of the new machine itself wears off really quickly, so making the most of the excitement squeezes out the last few drops of goodness for your money. I'm happy for you man. Enjoy.
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Easy now.

AnimusEradico

Post by AnimusEradico » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:30 pm

If you're not going to overclock, then you won't necessarily need a super all singing and dancing mobo, you also won't necessarily need to go mad on cooling since you won't be straining the CPU.
I took the decision to go for an i7-8700 over a K, with mid-range Mobo and air cooler rather than liquid cooling as I had no intention of overclocking which brought the overall cost of the build down.

ProvokedPrawn
Site Admin

Post by ProvokedPrawn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:22 pm

I'm considering selling this machine soon if it floats your boat

Donate to keep EBS alive ---->Image

Lafayette
Loading…

Post by Lafayette » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Yes! A topic i can help!
I did a 2 months research last summer to upgrade my rig to be ready for october discounts, i am quite exigent on hardware for my gaming comp furthermore it's what i am paid for, well...sometimes.
Right now i have a 40inch iiyama 4k@60fps (good bargain on amazon but quality of the image at 60Hz 90fps makes moire effects on fences or parallel lines) with a 1080gtx asus Strix, bought before price went up the sky.
First for 4K it is a PITA to set up right, many reports problem with Displayport cables not attaining sufficient frequencies at sync, screen goes black for few seconds ( adding suspense to fpshooters := )...
Maybe choose your monitor first or if you keep the one already paid for what are its resolution and frequencies?

Then with the graphic card prices are utter BS last i checked, but if i printed money i d go 2080rtx ti all the way from EVGA maybe, in my case performance bump is at this outrageous price range for now...
Update : after some quick checking RTX2070SUPER at around 600€ seems to be today's better choice...

I am a long time overclocker, although not a real OC guy at the eyes of some hardcore LN2 madmen, it is more a way of optimizing cost/performance. Note that most CPU and GPU these days do OC without user intervention and are ruled by thermal sensors mainly.
I made a few custom loops with different radiators, even with salvaged home wall mounted radiator full copper low temp heat exchangers, played with lighting and UV leds to make tubing glow, it's fun to play with but a waste of money and time. I builded full air towers last year for way cheaper and even quieter. (Except for some All In One watercoolers, there are very efficient Corsairs models which are almost silents, and other brands certainly too)
Just go BIG on CPU radiator, i can point you items online i d be having fun helping you upgrade if you want.
I chose AMD this time, Ryzen2700x coupled with a MSI B450 gaming pro carbon. Best prices were on Amazon.de, and 16cores is never a bad investment, yes intels 8700 or 9700 are safe to choose but price difference is not logical.
MSI B450 because they made better quality components on their mainboards than the other brands for this chipset. But it's not a rule, maybe for latest chipset some other brand will shine in the lot.
Still on the mainboard, Wifi is just a bonus and you have to pay a non negligible extra for it on many mainboards, a just in case you cannot pull a wire to your router, as you have way better ingame latencies with a network cable.
LED lighting is really a scam as firmwares and apps from the manufacturers often cause problem or just dont give you control ( set up disappears at reboot ).
Overclock of my AMD Ryzen is on full auto by default (almost sure it is default bios conf) and works really better this way, just give it room to apply higher frequencies with a big CPU heatsink.
RAMs were expensive and some cheap brand at the time i made my selection like Corsair 3000 or 3200Mhz where performing as equal to higher freq lower latency ones due to better XMP/Bios compatibility. But here too it might not be the case with another chipset or brand.
As for hard disk drive definitely go for M.2 SSD you hook it on the mainboard with a good heatsink on it, Samsung EVO970 maybe two of them in 128Mb ' edit 128Gb maybe i am old ;) ' and put the old ones in the case for more storage.

I ll add up and edit on the list things that come back in my mind if any interest for anyone, tell me, there are so many things to look for i cannot recall everything at once.

I agree with Harrod200, 3600X maybe 3700X if you tend to keep your builds a little longer. Today i would choose a low priced X470 Msi gaming pro, or possibly MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, some research are necessary though to validate this choice.

Nice video @ProvokedPrawn , and nice looking build, i particularly liked the riser for the graphic's card slot.

Lafayette
Loading…

Post by Lafayette » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:16 am

I am done editing the last post ; any constructive or interrogative feedback is greatly welcome.
@games uk is it too late? Do i provide too much or not enough information? Is it understandable? Shall i provide more content?
Please do tell.

Lafayette
Loading…

Post by Lafayette » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:26 am

:lol: Games just sent me pics of his new shiny rig.