BTCC Championship ?

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

Hairy Frog

BTCC Championship ?

Post by Hairy Frog » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:27 pm

WORK IN PROGRESS, TO BE EDITED WITH SUGGESTIONS, DECISIONS, DISCOVERIES, FISH'N CHIPS AND SO ON ....

The theme has been suggested and lightly discussed on discord, and some guys seem insterested.

IMHO, the quality of the BTCC car pack, and the specifics of the real life championship make it very interesting, and seemingly not too difficult to reproduce on our server.

As a basis, here are the main points of the BTCC sporting rules ( blue text are copy paste from the IRL rules ):

# Faithless Monk : each driver chooses one car and only one for the whole championship

# Hairy Frog : Helicorsa and Track Map apps mandatory in race, to minimize shocks and interferences

There are 10 events in the current season, with each event run across a weekend (Saturday and Sunday).

The tracks are

- Brands Hatch Indy
- Donington Park National
- Thruxton
- Oulton Park Island
- Croft
- Snetterton MRC 300
- Rockingham Speedway
- Knockhill
- Silverstone National
- Brands Hatch GP

All these tracks are available, in AC, DLC or mods

On Saturday there are two Free Practice sessions of 40 minutes and one Qualifying session of 30 minutes, with the exception of Snetterton
On Sunday there are three BTCC races of equal distance

Of course, we are free to adapt this format to our taste

# ColdBloodNor :

Free practice: The server will be set to the track and allowed cars. You can either practice on the server, or offline if you prefer that instead. When we are planning to start there will be a 15 minutes free practice, so that people can join in on the server and get into the groove of driving. This time can be shortened if the consensus says so.
Qualifying: A set time limit (say 10-15 minutes, depending on how many people want to join.
Race 1: 15 laps, 1 mandatory pit stop to have some fun with strategies.
Race 2: 5 laps, no mandatory pit stops, reverse grid as based on the result from race 1.

Damage will be turned on, but maybe just set it at 50%? That way you will be "penalized" for mistakes and crashes, but not as severely. Still fun for the ones that just want some fun, but still a bit punishing.

I would also suggest a bit "slacker" track limits. Right now it is set at 2 wheels over = over track limit. I would suggest raising it to 3 wheels.

# Hairy_Frog : increased tire wear if we want that pit strategies have a sense

According to race length, I think we better settle a basis in time, and decide the number of laps according to the average laptime of the track. If not, we will have a 15x40" = 10min race on BH Indy vs 15x120" = 30min on longer tracks such as Donington .....

The points system is 20-17-15-13-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 for the top 15 finishers

We are not 15 ( yet ), so no wories for scoring points :mrgreen:

Race grids

The grid for race one is decided during Saturday’s qualifying session (note different qualifying format for Snetterton)
The grid for race two is based on the finishing order of race one
The grid for race three is based on finishing positions, however there is also a reversed-grid element to the starting order. Numbers representing the cars that finished from sixth to 12th position in race two are put into a bowl, and one number is drawn at random. The corresponding car will start on pole, with the cars that finished ahead of it reversed i.e. if number six is chosen, the car that finished sixth in race two will start from pole ahead of the car that finished fifth, fourth, third etc. The remainder of the grid follows as per the finishing order of race two

I like this idea of introducing some radomness in the third starting grid, but we'll have to make it diferently .... if we keep the idea

Success Ballast

Cars that are successful in the BTCC must carry ballast (additional weight) in their cars.

Maximum success ballast will be increased to 60 kilograms for 2020, thereafter reducing in 6kg increments down to tenth place as follows:

1st: 60kg
2nd: 54kg
3rd: 48kg
4th: 42kg
5th: 36kg
6th: 30kg
7th: 24kg
8th: 18kg
9th: 12kg
10th: 6kg

Between events, ballast is allocated according to championship positions and is carried in qualifying and race one
For races two and three, ballast is allocated according to the finishing positions in race one and two respectively

The best point of this rule set imho. A very intersting mean to soften the gap between slower pilots and monster Monk :mrgreen:

I have already made some tests in hotlap with 60kg, but did not feel a great difference.... we'll need more testing to establish a BOP that would fit to our needs, and we also have the possibility to reduce the engine power ( to confirm, I don't know very wel how this slider is working )

My feeling after some more weight tests ( still not enough, would be nice that several other people do so to get more data ) is that we should make one or more races with this rating scale as is. We will change it if we see the obvious need of it ....

WORK IN PROGRESS, TO BE EDITED WITH SUGGESTIONS, DECISIONS, DISCOVERIES, FISH'N CHIPS AND SO ON ....
Last edited by Hairy Frog on Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 12 times in total.
If a fool is a guy who lost is touch with the real world, what to think about people who are confusing

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Knowledge and information
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

Cold Blood Nor
Loading…

Re: BTCC Championship ?

Post by Cold Blood Nor » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:19 pm

I think that a championship of sorts would be fun. However, I dont think having dedicated timeslots for free practice is feasible.
My suggestion for a format is this:

Free practice: The server will be set to the track and allowed cars. You can either practice on the server, or offline if you prefer that instead. When we are planning to start there will be a 15 minutes free practice, so that people can join in on the server and get into the groove of driving. This time can be shortened if the consensus says so.
Qualifying: A set time limit (say 10-15 minutes, depending on how many people want to join.
Race 1: 15 laps, 1 mandatory pit stop to have some fun with strategies.
Race 2: 5 laps, no mandatory pit stops, reverse grid as based on the result from race 1.

Damage will be turned on, but maybe just set it at 50%? That way you will be "penalized" for mistakes and crashes, but not as severely. Still fun for the ones that just want some fun, but still a bit punishing.

I would also suggest a bit "slacker" track limits. Right now it is set at 2 wheels over = over track limit. I would suggest raising it to 3 wheels.
Cold Blood out.

"What? Say something! Am I so beautiful that you've got no words left?" - Midna

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:41 pm

I think yes it is possible, but not setting it in wouldn't be an issue

As I said we are free to copy more or less closely the race format, so you suggestion is OK ... maybe we should also add an increased tire wear, so that tire wear the strategy get a sense
If a fool is a guy who lost is touch with the real world, what to think about people who are confusing

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

knightmorphed

Post by knightmorphed » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:37 pm

looks amazing dude....quite a commitment but could really be fun......the challenge is there is quite a varied level of capability within the group.....but if we can somehow work out a handicap system that smooths out the level then it will be fun

Cold Blood Nor
Loading…

Post by Cold Blood Nor » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Tire wear could definitely be increased. It is currently at 100%, just for reference.

For reverse/custom grid, I have to do some testing when we are people on the server. I do think I know how to do it, I just need to test to know for sure.
Cold Blood out.

Cold Blood Nor
Loading…

Post by Cold Blood Nor » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:53 pm

A handicap system would be interresting. Maybe balast for the ones in the leading position in the championship?
Cold Blood out.

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Serious test to do, I need to know what time everyone is consistent, and monk and I need to evaluate what weight is worth what time

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

Ztranier

Post by Ztranier » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:45 pm

ahoy all, i hope that i am not blacklisted anymore on the forum which happens to me from time to time

first of all, i really do see like this litle seat growing
may the force be with it

i really do like the idea to have a small comp championchip, and i am sure that it is a good idea to make researches and changes on the flight of the first "EBS simrace championShip", that much better than just theoretcly talking about issues which can or could be

although i am not sure that i have a voice on this (didn´t drive a single yard for about 5 years now), the first races should be done with the original BTCC rules just to have a stable platform to beginning and work with, instead of tweaking things bevore the season has even started

so that have been my first fünf Pfenninge for now, but as ya´ll know me be sure that there is more to come

if in doubt flat out
"If in doubt, ....flat out" Collin McRae

Hairy Frog

Post by Hairy Frog » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Welcome to the club Trainee, I'm counting the few days left before to see you wielding your new PC machaine and wheel .....

Just one thing I'm sure about, is that we won't apply BTCC rules as is, either that some points are too complicated to manage whereas we lack of experience, skill or maybe time, or some others simply won't work without modification.

So do not wory though, the aim is to make this more simple and still fun.

And your ideas and opinions are welcome, this topic is made for this
Last edited by Hairy Frog on Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Hanger and hatred
- Respect and fright
- Offense and fear
- Truth and belief
- Love and concupiscence
- Being and having

Ztranier

Post by Ztranier » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:23 pm

i think new PC won`t happen this year, caused by the lag of available components.
We can`t buy the CPU and the GPU right now..... but i think my old one can manage the sim racing games
and today i recived the fanatec parcels
lets see how it works with my steam machine
"If in doubt, ....flat out" Collin McRae