Only put your GENUINE opinions please

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

warlock359205

Only put your GENUINE opinions please

Post by warlock359205 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:08 pm

This off topic is re the Corona virus, as most of you know I have 3 lung diseases already, I am 69 , but i don't travel ,only local on the buses,I wear a scarf around my mouth as I am not supposed to inhale cold air ,I wash my hands when I get off the bus and several times at home, so what do you think? Am I doing enough to keep healthy ,or am I worrying too much , because that's all I see every day and it's starting to get to me ,mentally wise , so I trust your opinions over the millions of "experts" that go on every day

Spawnsy

Re: Only put your GENUINE opinions please

Post by Spawnsy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:29 pm

Bird flu, SARS, mad cow disease, mrsa, cdif, all came and went and I've never met anyone affected by any of them. Having said that you're somewhat of a special case, so I'd say: Keep your trips to necessary stuff only, take wipes and or hand gel to use regularly and often when touching busses and door handles, you'll be fine mate.
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Got the SQUEE?
Pick up your suffering and bear it.
Easy now.

Stujb

Post by Stujb » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:19 am

This is not the place for such a question. You should ask a medical expert.

warlock359205

Post by warlock359205 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:10 am

Stujb wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:19 am
This is not the place for such a question. You should ask a medical expert.
That's the trouble stu, I hear conflicting reports from medical experts every single day. Sorry if I have caused offence with my question.

Lafayette

Post by Lafayette » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:50 pm

@warlock359205 And whom may be interested, i am also preoccuppied by this virus, because as you know my son aged 8 is very fragile to the point the flew may be lethal to him and is a concern every year, even though we all get vaccined.

But to be a little more rationnal about the actuality, please read those numbers.

In France only, officials numbers point that of 67 millions inhabitants 2 to 6 millions get infected by the flew virus every year and 10'000 do die from it.

Today most alarmist numbers says of 90'000 persons over the whole world whom got it 3000 died of it, in France 200 contaminated 4 deaths, the last one was 92 years old. As of now there is no exponential propagation of it.

I seriously doubt the virus is lurking at your doorstep and mine right now, it seems it is far more lethal if you live in China and you were one of the unlucky people who met the virus first.

in the meantime it makes sense to be very cautious, and doing carefully every step that you should do to not get infected.

Not touching anything that you don't have to, no fingers in the nose, ears, eyes, cough in your elbow if you have to, wash your hands carefully with soap... obvious, right?

Well sorry i have to edit again ; flew i meant FLU = La grippe en français
Last edited by Lafayette on Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OldWarDog

Post by OldWarDog » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:33 pm

@warlock359205 I can understand your feelings, and why you might be concerned.
As @Spawnsy said, all of these viruses have been and gone, and the number of cases you actually hear about are minimal. My old Dad, who died 3 years ago at the age of 92, had MRSA. Where did he contract it? At a hospital, of all places. He had been in for an operation, and someone in the same ward as him had it, and it was passed on to everyone else in the ward. That said, I know of no-one else who ever suffered any of these.

When news like this happens, the media go into a frenzy. News sells, especially bad news, as people tend to have this morbid curiosity with disease and death. Look at any newspaper. Are they telling you anything positive? No, they're not. The Express for instance today Coronavirus: Bill Gates' chilling outbreak prediction exposed – '30 million deaths!’ Is Bill Gates an expert in medicine? Or virology? In actual fact Bill Gates made these comments in 2015, BEFORE Coronavirus even existed. So what have the Express done? They've taken an old story, that bears no relevance to fact, and added their own viewpoint to it, creating a superstory that'll have tongues wagging for the next month about what he said about Coronavirus, when in actual fact he said was "If anything kills over 10 million people in the next few decades, it's most likely to be a highly infectious virus rather than a war." Pure speculation, considering that also in today's Express is this story https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/ ... eroid-news Yep, that's right, if WW3 and Coronavirus doesn't kill us, the planet's going to get wiped out by a massive ateroid!!!

That @warlock359205 is the reason I don't buy newspapers, or listen to the crap that they talk. That is why you should take what the media reports with a pinch of salt. As others have said, take reasonable precautions; wash your hands, catch your sneezes and coughs in a hankie. If anything I'd add that you should spend more time in the fresh air, than indoors in warm, stagnant air, because bacteria loves warm, moist environments; they don't thrive in fresh clean air.

If you want honest, impartial advice, check out the government's own website, updated no later than today https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... the-public
Or indeed the NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

warlock359205

Post by warlock359205 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:46 pm

thanks for ALL the input , its hard to explain ,but the first time I was diagnosed with lung cancer ,even though I was "cleared" after 3 years it still took a year or so to get it out of my head, and now seeing all this constantly, it was getting to me , but feel a little more reassured now , so thanks.

Lafayette

Post by Lafayette » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:49 am

Healing the mind from this sort of accident is a long process, looks like you are a tough resilient man.
I am so glad you are a litlle more reassured now. Keep up Warlock!

Lafayette

Post by Lafayette » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:18 am

Update... Italia's schools are closed, 10 persons confirmed diagnosed with coronavirus in Marseille, it's at my doorstep now... considering half the population of my village works in Marseille.

Btw guys handkerchiefs is a no go, use disposable tissues, one time use only, properly discarded in a sealed bag, wash your hands with soap after use, the same apply if you have fpp2 masks, wash hands before use, discard sealed bag, wash hands after.

https://www.vaincrelamuco.org/2020/03/0 ... tions-3088

in french, the faq pdf at the end of text is rich in detailed real informations, use your favorite translator.

warlock359205

Post by warlock359205 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:09 am

@Lafayette I sincerely hope that you and your family stay well.