Noise isolating my room

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

Lythnic
Loading…

Noise isolating my room

Post by Lythnic » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:42 pm

I've been looking to isolate a majority of the sound from my room and outwards to my brothers room and the hallway.
Is there any good panels or such that I can just place on the outside of the walls inside my room, or would the best solution just be to place sound isolation inside the walls?
Principle at The School of Git Guud

Spawnsy

Re: Noise isolating my room

Post by Spawnsy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:23 am

Yes. I have done sound proofing professionally. We can chat about this and what products are available to you on comms some time. Let me know.
The cost will scare the shit out of you. Brace yourself!
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Got the SQUEE?
Pick up your suffering and bear it.
Easy now.

eyzpick
Loading…

Post by eyzpick » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:10 am

How about egg shaped faom?
Or build a room in a room with an air gap in between? Double door'ing an lots of insulating material rock wool style?

But Spawnsy will definitely know the right stuff !!!
Just breathe :?

warlock359205

Post by warlock359205 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:26 am

Piece of gaffer tape round the wife's mouth normally works for me

Lythnic
Loading…

Post by Lythnic » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:49 pm

That would be great spawnsy!
I don't have that much freedom in what options to use, it can't be anything permanent.
Nice one warlock hahhaha, but I'm actually the problem in this situation.

Spawnsy

Post by Spawnsy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:18 pm

Well nothing is permanent unless you raze the building to the ground. The problem might be having the money to return the room to original state when required. Screw holes can be filled, skirting replaced, walls repainted.
Money is guaranteed to be the problem. I think you'll decide quite quickly that what is affordable isn't worth it for 8-12dB reduction.
For example. Insulate one party wall between two rooms. Wall size 2m x 4m.
2x packs 50mm rockwool slab £40
7x 15mm soundcheck 1200x2400 plasterboards £105
7x 3m resilient bars £21
box of 32mm drywall screws £4
plasterer--- £150-£250?
4m skirting and adhesive £15
redecorate. paint? £15.
plus the time or labour costs. Then after all that time and money if you shout loud enough your neighbour will still hear what you are shouting.
Resilient bars are not the only option. Shaftwall system would be totally over the top for what you want. timber or metal stud aren't really suitable for dB reduction.
Very high quality, heavy g/sm velour curtains with a heavy liner from floor to ceiling with the fabric being twice the length of the room would be cheaper and easier to install and remove at will. That would deaden the sound somewhat, reducing echo, but isn't going to be as good as baffle panels like the ones in cinemas. Simply increasing the number of soft furnishings in a room can make a difference. It all depends on what kind of a difference you want to make.
If the problem is that you get excited and shout a lot, or play your music loud or something, then either self-control or headphones would be the best options!!
Facebook Ebs Spawnsy
Got the SQUEE?
Pick up your suffering and bear it.
Easy now.

Lythnic
Loading…

Post by Lythnic » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:16 am

I don't expect to be shouting, just normal talking volume. The main problem is that if I want to be in a voicechat at night I have to whisper. I recon the wall is around what you estimated, 2m x 4m. I'll see what the material cost would be if I were to buy it locally.

Lythnic
Loading…

Post by Lythnic » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 am

Would it be totally crazy to use sound isolating curtains on the wall? I would imagine that would be very quick and easy to set up

Lafayette

Post by Lafayette » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:48 am

Hey gentlemen, allow me please to add a little experience to the matter.
Fix solution, is cost prohibitive as the man told you, and even if you can spend the time and money to do it, the soundproofing you ll do in the room your computer is, will reduce in larger portion the sound incoming from the adjacent room than the sound coming from you to them... best sound proofing is when there is no physical connection between closed spaces ( air from floor to wall to ceiling ), almost undoable in renovation.
Best return for investment is effectively sound proofing curtains and a headset you can use while whispering, for the record i remember hearing your whispers quite well...

By jove! Spawnsy if i could find someone with those prices around me, i would be very very happy...

EVL-TW@

Post by EVL-TW@ » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:00 pm

Egg boxes on the walls the best you can have but very messy lol