Some tactics we need to consider and practice for Squad

We might not own a server, but we did once :'(
DarkDeamon
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Some tactics we need to consider and practice for Squad

Post by DarkDeamon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:01 pm

I'll open the floor to everyone on this. If we find anything that does/doesn't work well in game then we can post here to spread the knowledge
From what i've seen so far of the game mechanics, some of this stuff may work quite well.....

First thing is try stay together as a Squad. It’s a bloody nightmare as a leader if your squad is spread over half the map. If your leader needs you to wander off somewhere for some reason (ie sniper), he should tell you to.
Keep the chatter down on the Squad comms for the vital info to be passed
Keep an eye on the map. You can get good info from what you see on the map
Listen to the Squad Leader. If you have decent Leaders on your team and they are giving you orders then there should be (hopefully) some logic going on and some sort of plan/objective

Medics
Note that every time you die, your team loses 1 ticket. If you use the give up button you lose 2 tickets, repeated suicide can lose you higher numbers of tickets.
The respawn time on a rally point or FoB can vary depending on how soon you gave up and how close the enemy are to the point. Respawning back at your main base is not impacted by how close the enemy are.
In light of this, every squad needs at least one medic and if available two medics. Only time this isn’t true is when you are doing Insurgent defence and have unlimited tickets.
The medics can be vital in keeping your squad functional and in the battle.
The medic needs to
• know what they are doing,
• revive the Squad Leader as a priority,
• call for cover from team mates when reviving in dodgy places,
• use smoke wisely,
• make sure an ammo point is put down in an FoB (nag for it)
• resupply frequently (from the ammo point in the FoB
• 1 medic should stay close to the Squad Leader
• Medics should try stay apart from each other unless one of you needs reviving

Contact
When you come under contact (either seeing the enemy when they don't see you or you come under fire), you need to let your Squad Leader know first as he needs to slot this info into the bigger picture.
• Say ‘Contact’ on the squad comms
This is everyone else’s signal in the squad to shut the fuck up
• Then give Name (it’s often not easy to note who’s speaking when you have local chatter, squad chatter and squad leader chatter going on)
• If you can, give a grid ref including keypad for your location but if you’ve given your name then your squad leader can find you on the map
• A bearing to the contact from your position
• An approximate range to within 50m or so (1/2 a football pitch)
Contact strength, is it a lone sniper pinning you down or do you have two full squads charging you on full auto while it rains grenades
• Any other pertinent info
• Keep it brief and simple
At this point, if you have non squad team mates in your vicinity, you can give them a bearing and range to the enemy if they are looking gormless/getting their arses shot up.
Based on info from other Squad Leaders, your Squad Leader will then make a call as to if you should gracefully withdraw, leave you to die or he will mark the target on the map, give the Squad Fire Orders to go nail the attacker’s arses or call in more support from other Squads.

Fire Orders
If you are moving together as a squad then the fire orders will be fairly simple along the lines of
Lone sniper bearing 235 range 250m on ridgeline
If there is a distinguishing feature near the target then you can direct people to the feature and give a direction from there ie
Building bearing 180, 2 targets left of building
If you are spread out then it makes it harder for the Squad Leader so he will probably mark a grid on the map for the squad to attack and try arrange a co-ordinated attack

Basic movement
Going crouched is slower but it is much quieter, especially moving in the aim. If you are not under contact but are close to the enemy (urban environment especially), this is a must.
Don’t spend all your time looking down your sites, it narrows your focus and you may miss vital clues as to the whereabouts of the enemy.

At the minute we tend to go tear arsing across the map then get slotted as you near the point. We possibly want to try tactical movement as a squad where possible (even when we have vehicles we need to be aware of these). There are several recognised forms of tactical movement that can be used depending on your circumstances.

Fire and Manoeuvre
This is the basic way to engage/ disengage the enemy under fire.
At any one time, half the group are prone or under cover giving single shot steady aimed fire (not auto bursts) while the other half are moving. The move is short 5-10 meters beyond the group giving covering fire before the movers go to ground and start giving covering fire so that the others can then move.
Each half of the group moves in a series of bound making sure they stay out of the line of fire of the covering fire.
If you are disengaging from enemy contact then heave smoke is a must
If you are attacking an enemy position then 15-20 meters out, throw in the frags before storming the position with primary weapon on auto.

Column
Good if expecting an attack from either flank
Trudge along, one after another keeping about 5m apart. Squad Leader should NOT be at the front but 3-4 people back with the medic behind.
Support gunner should be near the Squad Leader
Front person observes 180° forward, rear person spends 50% of time checking rear
People behind front person observer 90° left or right alternate, ie No 2 observes left, 3 right, 4 left, etc

Code: Select all

º
  º<
 >º
  º<
 >º
  º<
 >º
  º<
  º

Staggered Column
Similar to column but can make use of cover offered by roadside walls or terrain features
If you are moving down something like a road, the squad splits in 2 and travels down either side of the road. Front and rear observer the same as column, everyone else observes their side of the road.
Again, the squad leader should be tucked in the middle, with a medic close by

º
             º
º
             º
º
             º
º
             º
º
Extended Line
You are either about to attack, are attacking or are expecting imminent contact from the front. This is the sort of position you’d assume if you are doing fire and manoeuvre onto an enemy position. Assume roughly 5-10m between people.
Support gunners/ heavy weapons (grenadier or rocketeer) should go to the ends of the line with the Squad Leader off centre. Medics should be 3rd person in from each end.

º   º   º   º   º   º   º   º   º
Arrowhead
This is a standard manoeuvre where you are fairly sure, you are going to come under attack from your direction of travel but gives you a little more leeway on attacking angles. Coming under contact, you would change this to extended line facing your direction of attack.
Assume roughly 5-10m between people.
Support gunners/ heavy weapons (grenadier or rocketeer) should go to the ends of the line with the Squad Leader off center. Medics should be 3rd person in from each end.

º
         º     º
      º           º
   º                 º
º                       º
All round defence
You’ve disengaged the enemy, got to safety and need to take stock of the situation, sort out ammo, let the medics heal you, etc.
If you can do this under cover, in a building or compound, great. Look out from your location (Squad Leader may position you and tell you what direction to cover, call for the medic if you’ve been injured. Reload your weapons and if there is an ammo point nearby, then resupply.
If you are in a FoB that has been attacked, it’s worth getting out your shovel and repairing any of the defences that have been damaged. If part of the defences have been completely destroyed by the enemy, then bring this to the attention of the Squad Leader so he can place new defences for you to dig in.
If there is no cover then go prone in a circle covering the 90° in front of you. Again call for the medic if you’ve taken any damage.
Try not to nag the Squad Leader at this phase as he’s probably checking with other Squad Leaders and working out what’s next. He should then give you a situation report and a ‘here’s what we’re going to do next’ update.

A few of you have also had experience of this shit before so feel free to correct any tactical lapses I’ve made due to senility/ pickled brains
aka EvilB@stard
Insurgency Config maniac
Putting my hacks on your PC :devil:

Stujb
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/stujb

Re: Some tactics we need to consider and practice for Squad

Post by Stujb » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:26 am

WTF is this? I thought EBS was about gentlemanly fun, not clan tactics.. I was seriously looking at Squad, but if it means this, then sorry no, this is not fun.

My opinion, that is all. If you guys want to play this way then please do so. It's just not my bag.

warlock359205
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by warlock359205 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:30 am

Stujb wrote:WTF is this? I thought EBS was about gentlemanly fun, not clan tactics.. I was seriously looking at Squad, but if it means this, then sorry no, this is not fun.

My opinion, that is all. If you guys want to play this way then please do so. It's just not my bag.
It's not that serious stujb , as for me I bought the game and it's so bad and unfinished it won't even run on my system and have got a refund , but what dark is on about is the simple fact that if you can play it , it is PvP and therefore you really need to practise together and work out the strategy or you'll die.

Projectblue
SWO
SWO
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Projectblue51
Twitter: Tw@tter? No - I'd rather die

Post by Projectblue » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:20 pm

That @StujB is basic infantry combat tactics. Not clan tactics. If you are playing a combat 'sim' as opposed to a game, then this is a useful set of how to's for noobs.

It's all about whatever floats someone's boat. If guys want to get technical, they can. Play Squad. If people want to run round, tanks, heli's and blah, then BF4.

There is no prescriptive way to enjoy one's own time on a pc. As long as people know what they are getting into and there's a safe word, Squad will be fine. I suggest 'pomegranate'.

Spadgy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Steam: el_spadgy

Post by Spadgy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:25 pm

One of the reasons I joined up is because I enjoy squad tactics and teamwork in comms that we have on Insurgency.
If you don't use it in Squad you will get your arse handed to you.
Personally, I enjoy not looking like an utter n00b.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap and lives are priceless.

Age.
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/age_uk
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/age_dub
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheProvokedPrawn/

Post by Age. » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:56 pm

It's not a necessary requirement of play. I don't play it that way. Why do BF people keep coming into threads they're not interested in and making useless comments anyway?
HILARIOUS Youtube videos
--->Donate to keep EBS alive<---
If you have problems, be sure to check the Guides Section for simple idiot-proof guides with screenshots 'n' all.

BillBailey
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bill.bailey.9212301

Post by BillBailey » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:14 pm

Because we still love you Age.

Stujb
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Stujb » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Age. wrote:
Why do BF people keep coming into threads they're not interested in and making useless comments anyway?
Stujb wrote: I was seriously looking at Squad, but if it means this, then sorry no, this is not fun.
My comment is valid and to the point of the thread.

Age.
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/age_uk
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/age_dub
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheProvokedPrawn/

Post by Age. » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Alright Stu, fair enough. But you must know what I mean.
HILARIOUS Youtube videos
--->Donate to keep EBS alive<---
If you have problems, be sure to check the Guides Section for simple idiot-proof guides with screenshots 'n' all.

Stujb
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Stujb » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:29 pm

Age, I do and I did. I meant no disrespect, especially not to DarkD who has clearly spent a great deal of time and effort in the initial post. I wasn't being pro-BF4, I just think that gaming time is just that, gaming time.