inflationary respawning

Chat about our Insurgency server
Spawnsy
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Spawnsy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:55 pm

open the console using your ` tilde key.
type exactly, including speech marks:

bind "u" "sm_hsay DO NOT RUSH" enter

bind "I" "sm_hsay ENABLE COMMS: YOU MUST HEAR THE TEAM" enter

bind "o" "sm_hsay EBS ££ = EBS RULES" enter

i think i used to use 890-= as my keys. maybe 7 too, i don't recall. it doesn't matter which, as long as you remember.
i don't recall exactly what messages i used to have either. i think the first two are correct.
some basic things i do remember:
long messages don't work.
keep it short and to the point.
blunt, but not rude.
caps work best: tried and tested.
one i do recall, but which i only used occasionally was: NO ENGLISH: NO GAME
i only ever used it when a player simply wouldn't respond to anything as a last ditch effort before kicking them. it may seem harsh, but if you can't communicate with the team, then how can you play with them? sure, if a person doesn't understand english but joins in perfectly well, then it's not a rule, but if they're a problem, then it's a problem.
mess about and see what gets you the best results. take note of the responses you get from your messages and tweak them.
EASY NOW

UncleRedDevil
Petty Officer
Petty Officer
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/UncleRedDevil/

Re: inflationary respawning

Post by UncleRedDevil » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:23 am

Thumbs up, sir!
Shall get on this soonish. :book:
:devil: UncleRedDevil :devil:

TokaiTele
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198028417860/

Post by TokaiTele » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Good post Spawnsy. :dancebanana:

Spadgy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Steam: el_spadgy

Post by Spadgy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:39 pm

I haven't really noticed any real abuse of spawning.
If someones just joined then I don't see the point in making them wait 10 minutes to get into the game.
Same goes for people who are slower loading into the maps.

Taking away admin respawn abilities reduces our ability to admin as we can't access the SM menue until we are spawned.

Instead of reducing our abilities I reccomend making rules that need to be followed.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap and lives are priceless.

Spawnsy
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Spawnsy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:21 pm

admin access has not been changed as i understand it. only that of regular members.
EASY NOW

taran
SWO
SWO

Post by taran » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 pm

From what I have seen many people have been abusing respawn for some time, so the temporary solution was to remove respawn for those who were over using it. ban/slay/ kick etc is still there. slap has been removed on the lowest admin level only.

But I agree some clarification on when its ok would be good..

for example when room is made for a member and someone leaves, should the new arrival wait until the game naturally respawns them.. I think they should?

a few people are still spawning themselves and others in, but it has become much less

I would be happy to remove respawn all together. its been broken for some time and I had to hack the files to get it to work.

Spawnsy
Admiral Of The Fleet
Admiral Of The Fleet

Post by Spawnsy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:57 pm

before i was getting into pub i had got to the point where i would respawn someone because i had killed them stupidly. i wouldn't respawn myself, but them, sure. looking back it was done with the best intentions, but probably wasn't for the best in general. it's not so long to wait for the next spawn, but in certain circumstances it's useful, such as learning a new map. for instance: if a counter is coming up and you want to progress in order to learn. i also used to be very lax about it late at night if there were only 3 or 4 members on.
feel free to set the rules as you see fit guys. make a decision, tell everyone, and it becomes the rule. dead simple.
EASY NOW

Spadgy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Steam: el_spadgy

Post by Spadgy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:17 am

I believe it should be as follows;

1. If they are slow loading into the map and first point hasn't been taken yet. Not all internet connections we created equal.
2. If they have just joined the map right after a point was completed. No reason to make them wait 5-10 minutes.
3. If a member TKs them stupidly. AKA Runs around the corner and pops a mofo on reflex. Not if the run into your line of fire.
4. If their connection drops during the game and they manage to rejoin. I can't see any issues with that.
5. Admins joining the game when summoned to deal with some BS.
6. New theatre testing. Cos YOLO. Also, best way to see if something's broken is to use it.
7. Members joining a game. It's nice to be able to spawn in when we join our own servers. If the majority are against it I'd dump the rule but I always viewed it as a perk of being a member.

If you can find a way to open the SM admin box without being spawned in it wouldn't make a difference to me if we could respawn or not but as it stands if I'm asked to come into the server to deal with BS I don't necessarily want to be waiting 5 or 10 minutes making dire threats and promises of retribution with my balls stuck in a vice.

The reason I'm a tad annoyed at this is that I was asked to come on for a point capper and could do sweet fuck all cos my respawn abilities are gone, and that cost the lads the game cos no one was ready for a counter.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Bullets are cheap and lives are priceless.

taran
SWO
SWO

Post by taran » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:50 am

Understand your frustration, will look at getting console access back so you can slay/kick ban etc when dead.

we are all not happy with the way it is and trying to work through some ideas and solutions. The temptation seems too great for some.

I dont personally agree with all your suggestions, so bear with us whilst we look at alternatives and do the coding to test it.

lots going on in the background

TokaiTele
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198028417860/

Post by TokaiTele » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:29 pm

EBS admins have always spawned themselves in when they join the server. It's been like that since I started playing on the server/s (about three years ago) so I don't see any problem there.

I only spawn people in under special circumstances, e.g we are near the last point, the only member alive is afk and another ebs member or pubby has just joined but cannot spawn in. I will spawn them in then just to give us a chance to complete the map.

I have noticed a lot more pubbies asking to be spawned in as soon as they join, so I suspect they have been pandered to by one or more of the newer admins.

I use slay more than anything else, just to attempt to open up a discord with the offending party.