Imagine Corona Virus in 2005

Moderators: Admiral of the Fleet, Vice Admiral

knightmorphed

Imagine Corona Virus in 2005

Post by knightmorphed » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:53 am

I read a BBC news article today about "imagine if the Corona Virus had been in 2005". No social networking, no smart phones, only 8 million households with broadband, no real video streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime), Skype didnt have video (yet), but above all for me no youtube and EBS gaming community.....it would have been bloody awful being stuck at home for 3 months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52052502

We must be thankful for computers, the EBS Gaming community and technology keeping us "sane" during these trying times....I did have Day of Defeat Source with 1 MB BT broadband line so I might just have pulled through with my Pentium 4 3.06 GHZ and 512 MB of Ram, 50GB hard disk and 16MB graphics card - but lets focus on the positives....this is 2020 thank god....yes the globe might be melting, we have a bastard virus killing loved ones but we are awfully lucky in comparison to previous generations that had to fight a war and didnt make it past their 20th birthday.

Keep focusing on the positives, wash your hands and stay safe.

Harrod200
Loading…

Re: Imagine Corona Virus in 2005

Post by Harrod200 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:05 pm

We're also in a much better position nowadays to fight the virus too; F@H is now more powerful than the top 100 current supercomputers combined, and while that alone won't spit out a cure/vaccine, it's taking the hay out of the haystack with regards to viable attack vectors. Starting the search 15 years ago would have taken years to narrow the field down to what's been done in weeks now.

kentone

Post by kentone » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Yeah, playing videogames can trick your brain into think that you are outside, it's a good therapy! plus, the internet is helping to have a lot of companies teleworking, grandpas can see you from the distance, staying safe, technology is a good thing when it's well used :)
enemyboat.co.uk

WarGanisM

Post by WarGanisM » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:28 pm

2005 the internet was still pretty extensive back then for gamers still, maybe not for the smartphone generation. But for the Pc gamer, Plenty of MMO's were out at that time Starwars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, plenty of good games. Teamspeak 2 & Ventrillo was out in full force, Lots of highly active forums. wouldn't really effected introvert gamers at all lul